The Coalition for Music Education invites applications for the position of Managing Director. This is a contract position, 35 hours per week.
Now in its twenty-fifth year, the Coalition is a vibrant national organization that is committed to raising awareness for and understanding of the role that music education plays in Canadian culture, and to promote the benefits that music education brings to young people. The Coalition envisions Canada as a country where the lives of all children are enriched by quality school music programs, and where their active participation in music is valued and supported in our communities. This is achieved through a range of programs and projects that are designed to advocate for music education for all students in all schools across Canada. Foremost among these programs are Music Monday, our signature program held the first Monday in May each year, and Youth4Music, a program that provides a platform for the voices of youth to be heard as they play an important role in policy decisions.
Candidates for Managing Director will be dynamic leaders with strong administration credentials and deep experience working in a team environment. They will have a track record of promoting and sustaining excellence, a creative mindset, and a deep commitment to music education. The Managing Director will possess leadership skills and administrative experience to advance the mission and vision of the Coalition on all fronts, while honoring the deep traditions and values that are so important to the music education community and the country. The Managing Director will have an open and transparent leadership style, exceptional interpersonal skills, and an abiding respect for the principles of collaborative decision making and governance. They will be deeply committed to and passionate about the Coalition for Music Education, and will have the skills and desire to connect at every level of the music education community, and to forge meaningful partnerships that will benefit both the Coalition and the broader community.
Please note that all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. However, this position is based in the Greater Toronto Area where the national office is located. It should also be noted that preference will be given to those who are fluent in French and English, although not a requirement. The roles and responsibilities are attached. Salary is to be negotiated.
The deadline for applications is November 15, 2017, with final selection and official notification taking place by November 30, 2017. The contract will officially begin January 1, 2018. Applications should be submitted, in confidence, to Dr. Eric Favaro, Chair of the Board of Directors, at email@example.com.
Managing Director – Roles and Responsibilities
35 hours per week
Reporting to Board of Directors through the Chair
The roles and responsibilities of the Managing Director will include, but not limited to:
- Track all accounts payable and receivable through Quickbooks, and work with bookkeeper to keep reports updated
- Approve expenditures within the authority delegated by the Board
- Oversee tax receipt administration, including calculations of advantages for fundraising events
- Process and input cheques and expenses through Quickbooks
- Compile yearly reports, receipts and statements for audit, and work closely with auditor
- Provide the Treasurer and Chair of the Board with comprehensive, regular reports on the revenues and expenditures of the organization
- CRA filing and ensuring all taxes and CPP are paid, and contract requirements are being met
- Oversee all contracts, including the Coordinator of Programs, Coordinator of Communications, Web designer, translation services, and others as assigned on an as-needs basis
- Complete compliance reports to funders
Membership – Procurement and Engagement
- Develop, implement and steward the membership development strategies.
- Manage and improve the member experience and discover value-add vehicles for members
- Be the first point of contact for all existing and potential members
- Respond to members’ questions and troubleshoot membership issues, including assisting with the membership signup process and the creation of online profiles
- Collect information on member projects and awards, and work with the Communication Coordinator on member promotion for communications calendar
- Maintain online membership registration pages
- Ensure membership benefits are offered and redeemed, suggest additional potential membership benefits
Event Planning and Management
- Collaborate with the Coordinator of Communications in marketing and promotional efforts for programs, projects and events
- Manage and support event staff
- Oversee venue logistics for Board meetings and events, as well as Youth4Music symposiums and meetings, including catering, tech needs, room specs and more
- Develop and solicit event sponsorships
- Oversee pre-event logistics (signs, plaques, badges, program book, registration packet materials, etc.)
- Be on-site for all events for quality control
- Coordinate all gala and recognition events
- Support the staff to ensure evaluation forms are distributed electronically after events to collect quotations and feedback
- Set up registration pages for Coalition events and conferences
- Attend and assist at events as required
- Work with Communications Coordinator to update news, blog, events, and other pages as news arrives or in accordance with editorial calendar
Database and Website Oversight
- Establish email templates, segment contacts in database geographically and demographically for email and event communications
- Ensure that physical and electronic membership record filing systems and databases are current, accurate, and organized.
- Utilize the database to retrieve information required for program management and reporting
- Manage events calendar, including national third-party events
- Together with the Development Committee of the Board of Directors, complete ongoing prospect research, complete grant applications, complete proposals and stewardship reports
- Together with the Development Committee of the Board of Directors, establish a fundraising database
- Working with other staff, ensure that the database records are maintained and updated in an accurate manner
- Undertake the technical deployment of any integrated online initiatives for donor stewardship and retention, and online fundraising activities.
- Oversee relationships with external third party giving platforms such as CanadaHelps
- Manage and work closely with the research team with regular updates to the Chair and the Executive
- Manage the Inputting of data collected by research team and ensure map is updated and representational of sector
- Manage extracting of data for reporting and presentation purposes