The Victoria Symphony is moving in a new direction to inspire and assist young composers to share their talents and...
The Coalition for Music Education in Canada
Our Goal and Mission
Our powerful network includes thousands of Canadian music makers, educators, supporters and facilitators – all committed to protecting quality school music programs now and into the future.
To raise the awareness and understanding of the role that music education plays in Canadian culture, and to promote the benefits that music education brings to young people.
We envision Canada as a country where the lives of all children are enriched by quality school music programs, and where their active participation in music is valued and supported in our communities.
The Coalition for Music Education was founded in 1992 when representatives of more than 20 music education organizations came together to share ideas to improve the state of music education in Canada. The Coalition quickly began working with parents and other concerned citizens to address concerns about music in schools.
Turn your PASSION for music into ACTION for music education
Knowledge is power. That’s why the most important thing you can do before launching into advocacy is to educate yourself about the benefits of music education and the status of music education in Canada.
Successful advocacy is dependent on enthusiastic people who allow their passion to fuel action that leads to change. The Coalition for Music Education can provide you with some information and tools that will help maximize the impact of your advocacy efforts. Whether you are a student, parent, educator or political decision-maker, we all can make a difference.
If there’s anything worth celebrating, it’s the impact Music and Music Education has on our lives. We invite you to join some of our events, meet some youth ambassadors as well as read some testimonials about the difference music education has made.
Community is an important component of successful advocacy. We hope you will connect with us via Twitter, Facebook, our blog, and email. We’d like to help you with any challenges you may be facing and celebrate any victories you’ve had.
Keep up-to-date on Coalition programs, initiatives and music education advocacy. Sign up for our newsletter today!
Our programming is designed to: celebrate and inspire young people engaged in learning and making music; and reward and assist the individuals that support and facilitate their efforts.
Since 2005, on the first Monday in May, hundreds of thousands of young people in schools and communities across Canada sing and play the same song, at the same time, to celebrate the importance of school music programs.
Principals of Music Award
Presented annually to recognize elementary, middle and secondary school Principals across Canada who have demonstrated that music is an integral component of the curriculum for every student in their school.
This youth network provides a platform for the voice of young people about the importance of music in their schools and communities; gives youth a chance to collaborate on strategies and projects; provides leadership opportunities for youth to make a difference for music in their schools and communities.
Wise Voices for Music
Through grassroots events held in communities across the country, music advocates of all ages are invited to share ideas and strategies for how best to support school music programs.
Support music in our schools and communities
If you care about keeping music programs strong in schools, join us and become part of the national voice for music education. Whether you’re a student, teacher or parent, or you represent an association or institution, our programs and resources are here to help you ensure that school music programs in your community are as strong as possible.
The benefits of music education
enhances academic achievement
- Music programs improve the atmosphere for learning
- Music programs help students achieve in other academic subjects like math, science, and reading
enhances the quality of life
- Music programs provide students with opportunities to:
- express themselves in verbal and non-verbal ways;
- appreciate diverse perspectives, openness and flexibility in thinking;
- develop a high level of self-awareness and self-confidence;
- develop a rich and healthy sense of beauty and imagination
encourages healthy social development
- Music programs keep students engaged in school and less likely to drop out
- Music programs help communities share ideas and values among cultures and generations
- Music is a disciplined human endeavor with intrinsic value to society
enhances preparation for the workplace
- Music develops skills needed by the 21st century workplace
- Critical and analytical thinking
- Creative problem solving
- Effective communication
“With music, I feel complete. It reminds me that humans possess genius and can use it to create beauty. Music classes in our schools can unlock the doors to creativity and self expression for Canada’s young people and help them expand their horizons.”
Dr. Marc GarneauFormer Head of the Canadian Space Agency and the first Canadian astronaut in space
Delighted to introduce to you our new Communications Coordinator, Sabrina Moella (firstname.lastname@example.org). Sabrina will take our communications strategies to a whole...
Become a member
Find the class of membership that’s right for you.
- Become a noteworthy “instrument of change” through Y4M
- Connect on social media and member forums to share info about your school’s music program and network with others across Canada
- Share your story about an inspirational teacher or principal and inspire others to do the same
- Access the resources to assess the quality of your school’s program and to advocate for its continuation and improvement
- Celebrate a strong program by nominating a Principal and find out more about Youth Leadership opportunities
- Encourage your child’s school to participate in Music Monday.
- Access the resources to encourage parent and community support for your program, year round and on Music Monday
- Positively reinforce the support of your Principal through our Principals of Music Awards and learn from the strategies of former Award winners
- Parent advisory councils, Music Educator Associations, academic institutions and similar groups committed to the Coalition’s vision for music in schools
- Support and help to shape our initiatives and our resources, including much-needed research.
Let your voice be heard! Join the conversation
Building community support for music education in schools and communities
New! Discussion forums
Designed to give youth, parents and educators an online platform to share experiences, seek advice, and collaborate on music advocacy strategies.
NEW CHAMPIONS FOR MUSIC
The Coalition for Music Education re-launched the –‘Success in Music. Success in Life. It’s No Coincidence’ initiative. This awareness campaign includes a diverse spectrum of successful professionals who share music education in their backgrounds and credit learning music as a key factor in achieving success in their respective fields.
This year’s 18 participants include a General, an astronaut, a chef, a judge, a Canadian Olympian, a broadcaster, a surgeon, etc.
“The habits and successes learned through music helped me to be a better student, a safer pilot, and eventually even a more capable astronaut.”– Col. Chris Hadfield